Stanby under Windows - how to manage archive log files?

From: Konstantin Kudin <konstantin_kudin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2003 13:00:54 -0800

Hello,

 I am working on setting up a standby server. The OS is Windows NT SP6a and
the Oracle is 8.1.7. I have no ability to change this combination.

 A question came up on how to ship files from primary to standby. While using
an optional archive destination together with the Oracle 8i internal facility, some files do not get shipped to standby (this has been observed). For the mandatory setting an offline standby server will eventually stall the primary. Is there a way to ensure that primary operates regardless of what is happening to standby and that standby gets all the archive logs once it is back online?

 Also, what is the best scripting approach for managing the archive logs under Windows? I am interested in tasks such as removing some older logs and perhaps creating a delay in applying the logs to standby. Of course, such scripts could also ship log files from primary to standby without using the Oracle facility. Under Unices that would be trivial but what are the good tools for Windows? Is there any repository of DOS batch scripts that could do the job? I've tried to search the web on the issue and found no good answer.

 This is certainly a lot of questions in one e-mail. I would really appreciate an informative answer.

 Thanks in advance!

 Regards,
 Konstantin Kudin Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 15:00:54 CST