Re: Stanby under Windows - how to manage archive log files?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:02:10 +1100

Konstantin Kudin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on setting up a standby server. The OS is Windows NT
> SP6a and
> the Oracle is 8.1.7. I have no ability to change this combination.
>
> A question came up on how to ship files from primary to standby.
> While using
> an optional archive destination together with the Oracle 8i internal
> facility, some files do not get shipped to standby (this has been
> observed). For the mandatory setting an offline standby server will
> eventually stall the primary. Is there a way to ensure that primary
> operates regardless of what is happening to standby and that standby
> gets all the archive logs once it is back online?

Not until you get to 9i, when 'Fetch Archive Log' processes can do exactly what you're after (though it's conceivable that facility was backported to a later 8.1.7 release... I doubt it, though).

You are *supposed* to set all non-local destinations to OPTIONAL, so as to avoid the primary stall that will eventually occur when a mandatory destination is uncontactable. You're then supposed to monitor the thing for when archive destinations become disabled. And even then, if you re-enable the destination, you are responsible for plugging the gaps in the archive sequence, because Oracle 8i has no mechanism to do it automatically.

> Also, what is the best scripting approach for managing the archive
> logs under Windows? I am interested in tasks such as removing some
> older logs and perhaps creating a delay in applying the logs to
> standby.

Again, a 9i feature. In 8i, logs are applied as soon as they are received, and that's not configurable. Unless you reinvent the wheel and use your own scripts (as you went on to suggest) to do the transportation (which seems to me to defeat the purpose of having the Enterprise Edition in the first place).

[snip]

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Jan 27 2003 - 18:02:10 CST