why rman?

From: Tim Smith <timasmith_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2003 15:26:35 -0800

Hi,
  We spent a fair bit of time getting our Oracle 7.3.2 backups running on AIX 4.2. Such that we divide our tablespaces up to fit exactly on the current (4) number of tapes. We use backup scripts to write directly to tape.

  Now we upgrade to Oracle 8.1 and I wonder do we have to redo everything to use RMAN - and if so what are the benefits of doing so. We can't really afford a completely automated enterprise solution - such as a backup server with some such expensive software interfacing with our server - so what else does RMAN give?

thanks!

Tim Received on Sun Jan 26 2003 - 17:26:35 CST