Re: Databse File layout on only 4 drives Ideas?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 15:36:56 -0800

sldcrew2k_at_yahoo.com (steve deno) wrote in message news:<8e6b14d8.0301241033.32ee27ab_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello, I need to build an Oracle 9.2 database(non-production) on
> Solaris 9. The machine has just 4 physical drives. I have the
> following tablespaces to move on to this machine: SYSTEM, UNDO, TEMP,
> DATA, INDEX and TOOLS. I Have taken the approach of starting with
> splitting DATA, INDEX, UNDO, and SYSTEM on to different drives which
> leaves me with TOOLS and TEMP. I was planning on putting TOOLS on the
> same disk as system, which would leave me with
>
> DISK1 SYSTEM, TOOLS
>
> DISK2 UNDO
>
> DISK3 DATA
>
> DISK4 INDEX
>
> So, My questions are: Where should I locate TEMP, and where should
> my ARCHIVE directory be? Also, What glaring omissions do I have?
>
> I realize that this is not an optimal setup, but any ideas that you
> have would be GREATLY appreciated!

What do you plan to do with this non-production setup?

Use your favorite search tool like google to look for some interesting perspectives in this newsgroup, such as to whether you should have a separate index ts. In a nutshell, you want to spread I/O as evenly as possible across the spindles, which is based entirely on what you plan to do. And if what you plan to do is a whole lot of full-table scans, you might be better splitting popular tables across disks.

If you are memory limited (say, because you bought some old machine off ebay and won't spring for more memory), you might want to go overboard on mirrored swap space.

If you are just going to be making a db for developing some apps to be scaled elsewhere, you might not want to bother much with separating out tablespaces, other than system, undo and everything else.

> Thanks

jg

--
@home is bogus.
So why do DBAs become corrupt and how can we identify and correct