Re: Databse File layout on only 4 drives Ideas?

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 15:16:54 -0600

On 24 Jan 2003 10:33:22 -0800, sldcrew2k_at_yahoo.com (steve deno) wrote:

>Hello, I need to build an Oracle 9.2 database(non-production) on
>Solaris 9. The machine has just 4 physical drives. I have the
>following tablespaces to move on to this machine: SYSTEM, UNDO, TEMP,
>DATA, INDEX and TOOLS. I Have taken the approach of starting with
>splitting DATA, INDEX, UNDO, and SYSTEM on to different drives which
>leaves me with TOOLS and TEMP. I was planning on putting TOOLS on the
>same disk as system, which would leave me with
>
>DISK1 SYSTEM, TOOLS
>
>DISK2 UNDO
>
>DISK3 DATA
>
>DISK4 INDEX
>
>So, My questions are: Where should I locate TEMP, and where should
>my ARCHIVE directory be? Also, What glaring omissions do I have?
>
>I realize that this is not an optimal setup, but any ideas that you
>have would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
>Thanks

First off, I'd put those 4 drives into a RAID array. Right now you have four single points of failure. With 4 drives there are several ways to configure an array. No way I'd buy off on that, even for a test system. I'd say your best bet would be to put all 4 drives in a RAID 1+0. (stripe and mirror). If you do that, it really won't matter where you put the tablespaces. You might want to create a separate file system for the various parts, but I believe that this is more for admin and organization. See the currently runnign discussion on LMT, and the sub-discussion there on separating data and index/I-O load balancing, etc. Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 15:16:54 CST