Re: Oracle Replication / Migration Question

From: Randy <rvandehe_at_enzy.com>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 05:33:26 -0800

> I'm a bit confused. There seem to be two things going on here. First,
> you need to populate ARCHIVE with all the relevant data that is already
> in PROD, and then clean out PROD. That's a one-off job.
>
> Next, you seem to be saying that as records are added into PROD, you
> want those replicated to ARCHIVE, with a periodic cleanout of those
> records from PROD. That's an on-going thing.
>
> Is that right?

That is exactly right. We'd copy PROD to ARCHIVE. Then we'd delete old information from PROD. Then from that point forward, we want to replicate all updates and inserts to ARCHIVE. Basically, we don't want to lose our history data, but we don't want it in the current instance of Oracle, because it is slowing down our OLTP ERP system.

> Presumably, ARCHIVE doesn't need to kept in near-real-time synch with
> PROD? If not, replication is probably overkill, and you'd be better off
> looking at export/import, or SQL Loader to populate ARCHIVE in nightly
> batches (or similar). If you load ARCHIVE via one of these methods, then
> deleting stuff out of PROD isn't going to be an issue, because you
> won't be replicating the deletes at all.

Correct. ARCHIVE doesn't need to be kept in near-real-time sync. Replication might be overkill, but will it even work? as I don't want to replicate DELETES.

Also, I haven't looked in to SQL Loader yet, but export/import doesn't look like it will work because 1) common records between PROD and ARCHIVE will error on the import because they already exist in ARCHIVE and 2) updates (in PROD) to common records between PROD and ARCHIVE will not migrate to ARCHIVE using import.

I was hoping that REPLICATION would handle my requirements so I wouldn't have to "build my own" replication system.

-Randy Received on Fri Jan 24 2003 - 07:33:26 CST