Re: Oracle Replication / Migration Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:10:20 +0000

Randy wrote:
> We have Oracle 8.1 on NT 4.0 with 1 instance (PROD)
>
> We basically want to copy all the data from our prod instance to a new
> instance, lets call it archive (possible on another server). Then
> delete old records from the prod instance based on some rules. e.g.
> invoices older than 5 years, etc.
>
> Basically, we want to trim the fat from our main OLTP system.
>
> We'd like to run through this "migration" process of copying from PROD
> to ARCHIVE, and deleting from PROD on a regular basis, maybe as ofen
> as nightly, but probably weekly.
>
> Is this something that Replication can handle? When we delete old
> records from PROD we don't want those "deletes" to propogate over to
> ARCHIVE.
I'm a bit confused. There seem to be two things going on here. First, you need to populate ARCHIVE with all the relevant data that is already   in PROD, and then clean out PROD. That's a one-off job.

Next, you seem to be saying that as records are added into PROD, you want those replicated to ARCHIVE, with a periodic cleanout of those records from PROD. That's an on-going thing.

Is that right?

Presumably, ARCHIVE doesn't need to kept in near-real-time synch with PROD? If not, replication is probably overkill, and you'd be better off looking at export/import, or SQL Loader to populate ARCHIVE in nightly batches (or similar). If you load ARCHIVE via one of these methods, then   deleting stuff out of PROD isn't going to be an issue, because you won't be replicating the deletes at all.

Regards
HJR