Re: Oracle 8.0.5 & ORA-01017

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 24 Jan 2003 02:14:14 -0800

unxguy <member_at_mainframeforum.com> wrote in message news:<3e3041b0$1_1_at_news.onlynews.com>...
> On an HP-UX 11.00 system, I installed Openview (Oracle 8.05) with a
> local user ID. All was well - everything worked happily...
>
> Then I added this system to the development domain and now when I try to
> connect internal I receive the dreaded ORA-01017 invalid
> username/password; logon denied message....
>
> I've tried several combos of the oracle account locally/NIS+ and
> /etc/nsswitch.conf with no luck... Now they want to tear the system up
> and start over - not my first choice - must be something simple in
> OracleLand...
>
> Any thoughts?

To be able use connect internal you have two possibilities: 1) if you're using OS identification you need to be logged as member of DBA group to operating system while trying internal login. Name of user/users depends on your installation, but usually it's user ORACLE.

2) if you're using password authentification you need to supply right password. If you do not know this password, you should use orapwd. Just run it without any parameters and rest is self explanatory.

  where
    file - name of password file (mand),     password - password for SYS and INTERNAL (mand),     entries - maximum number of distinct DBA and OPERs (opt),   There are no spaces around the equal-to (=) character.

Then log in by using new password.

Each of described ways is really easy and there is no need for "tear the system up and start over", which is usually first choice from incompetent administrators.

Witth regards

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.