Re: Export from 9i and import to 8i

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:58:29 +1100

I didn't see the original post, but this is not difficult. What "there is no compatibility from 9i to 8i" is supposed to mean, I couldn't say.

But the generic rules (posted ad nauseam to this group in the past few months) are simple: you need to use the LOWER version of export against the HIGHER version of the database to create a lower version dump file. That file can then be imported into the lower version database without a problem.

Short and sweet, therefore: you navigate your way to you Oracle 8i HOME/bin directory and run export from there. Connect to the 9i version database in the usual fashion (connect name/password_at_9idatabasealias. Perform the export. That's an 8i export file, despite it being a 9i database. Now run import against the 8i database, and your problem is solved.

Quite why this requires secret "I have a solution" messages, I don't know. It's pretty standard stuff.

Incidentally, stop cross-posting.

Regards