Export from 9i and import to 8i

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:32:46 -0000

Greetings,

ok, it *has* been done to death here from time to time, but ........

I've now found myself in the situation where I need an export of a 920 user importing into an 817 database. So off I go :

Server is HPUX 11:00 64 bit.
Oracle exporting software is 8.1.7.4.0 64 bit and Oracle user being exported is in a 9.2.0.1.0 64 bit database. Tnsnames.ora etc all ok and working just fine - honest.

login to 817 account
Attempt to export 920 user using 817 software

exp system/password_at_QA920
owner=920_username
file=qa920.dmp
log=qa920.log
compress=no
statistics=none
buffer=2048000

This fails with 'EXP-00002 Error writing to export file', followed by 'EXP-00000 Export terminated unsuccessfully'.

I've checked that the entire directory structure where I'm writing to has permissions set - in fact, I've set them all to RWX for everyone - just in case. No joy. (Unix users are in the dba group and dba group owns the directory structure.)

I can write exp files to this directory under normal connditions - exporting with the same version of exp as the database user.

I *can* export this same user from an Alpha server running Digital Unix and using 8.0.5 expsoftware - no problems, the file even imports into 8.0.5 and 8.1.7 - so I have a workaround of sorts.

Seems that on HPUX, I cannot export even to /dev/null without getting the exp error as above. Mind you, if I do try an export to a filesystem, I *do* get a 2048 byte dump file.

Anyone out there with an HPUX system want to confirm the problem for me please ?

I've checked metalink - nothing.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar