Re: Oracle Failsafe and Autoarchivelog mode

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 18:47:54 +1100

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:SU_W9.25532$536.1636873_at_news2.telusplanet.net...
> James Chappell wrote:
>
> > I've got a 8.1.7 Oracle database associated with OFS. At the moment it
> > is running in Noarchivelog mode.
> >
> > How do I switch it to Archivelog mode? I am unable to use svrmgrl to
> > shutdown and start up the database.
> >
> > Thanks in advance, chaps.
> >

> from sqlplus as system or sys type "alter database archivelog"

SYSTEM (the user) won't ordinarily do. He's not a privileged user, and you'll get an 'insufficient privileges' error when you try. The alter database archivelog command ONLY works in the mount state, and ONLY after a clean shutdown (Ie, 'shutdown immediate' as the bare minimum). The only user ordinarily able to shutdown the database, or startup to the mount state, is SYS.

> change your init.ora params log_archive_start, log_archive_dest and
> log_archive_format

Actually no requirement to do any of these things APART from log_archive_start, since there are defaults for the archive destination and the naming format. But the default for log_archive_start is false. So, yes, that one NEEDS to be set.

> shutdown and restart the database

Regards
HJR