Re: Oracle Failsafe and Autoarchivelog mode

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:06:34 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> James Chappell wrote:
>>
>> > I've got a 8.1.7 Oracle database associated with OFS. At the moment it
>> > is running in Noarchivelog mode.
>> >
>> > How do I switch it to Archivelog mode? I am unable to use svrmgrl to
>> > shutdown and start up the database.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance, chaps.
>> >

>> from sqlplus as system or sys type "alter database archivelog"
>

> SYSTEM (the user) won't ordinarily do. He's not a privileged user, and
> you'll get an 'insufficient privileges' error when you try. The alter
> database archivelog command ONLY works in the mount state, and ONLY after
> a clean shutdown (Ie, 'shutdown immediate' as the bare minimum). The only
> user ordinarily able to shutdown the database, or startup to the mount
> state, is SYS.
>

>> change your init.ora params log_archive_start, log_archive_dest and
>> log_archive_format
>>

> Actually no requirement to do any of these things APART from
> log_archive_start, since there are defaults for the archive destination
> and the naming format. But the default for log_archive_start is false. So,
> yes, that one NEEDS to be set.
>
>> shutdown and restart the database
>
> Regards
> HJR

Yes, I should have read my response more carefully before I fired it off, especially since I did this exersize only a few weeks ago when upgrading a test instance to a production one. But I'll use the excuse that I did it from dbastudio, and my preferred cred's are always set to sys as sysdba :-) Received on Wed Jan 22 2003 - 10:06:34 CST