Re: Resetting state of PL/SQL package

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:24:23 GMT

Karsten Farrell wrote:
> Dmitry Rusakov wrote:
>

>> Can I correctly reset pl/sql package state in other sessions from current
>> session for support caching mechanisms?
>>
>> Sincerely
>>
>> D.Rusakov

> Do you just want to allow any session to *set* a package variable and
> allow any session to *see* the current value of that variable? If so,
> can you provide procedures/functions in the package to:
>
> set_variable(new_value);
> cur_value := get_variable;
>
> Then grant execute on the package to the world.
>
> As long as you don't close the session that's running the package, other
> sessions can use the get/set routines.

In re-reading your post, another thought occurred to me. You might also want to look into Oracle's Advanced Queueing (AQ). You can set up database queues so that one session acts as the "publisher" to "broadcast" a message to "subscriber" sessions. Works kinda like async inter-process communication using semaphores.

You can find info in the Oracle Developers manual. You can also find some examples of its use at http://asktom.oracle.com. Received on Mon Jan 20 2003 - 16:24:23 CST