Re: Locks rows

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 06:02:42 +1100

No problem. What you do is uninstall Oracle completely. And then you replace it with a product called SQL Server.

SQL Server is well-known for the way somebody doing an update to a row causes all other people who are hoping to select from that table to grind to a halt.

Incidentally, I'm not joking when I say this

But in Oracle, we NEVER do this. Readers don't block writers, and writers don't block readers. And readers most certainly never block other readers!! And there is NO way around that. You can do a select which prevents anyone else from modifying a record (called a 'select...for update'), but that won't stop me *selecting* that record. In Oracle, selects never take locks (except for the special case of a 'for update' one) and so they can't themselves be in competition for a lock taken by someone else updating -and hence a select can never be 'locked out'.

Regards