Re: Multiple freelist groups to reduce BBW in non-RAC systems?

From: Don Burleson <don_at_burleson.cc>
Date: 18 Jan 2003 11:15:47 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

Wow! You sure know how to write a detailed answer! Thanks!

However, I keep on hearing about this PCTFREE-PCTUSED "gap", and it doesn't make sense to me!

I asked Steve Adams about this and he wrote "A small PCTUSED to PCTFREE gap is a problem because most deletes and many inserts involve freelist changes. "

Initially when I heard "gap", I took it to mean that 100-(pctfree+pctused)=0, but I must be mistaken because this zero-gap setting would not cause high "freelist changes". For example:

I could not be that a high "gap" refers to the absolute difference between
PCTUSED and PCTFREE? Nah, that does not work either:

So, neither of my definitions of "gap" make sense . . . .

What is this "gap"? Received on Sat Jan 18 2003 - 13:15:47 CST