Re: Q re command files for Oracle start/stop

From: Gerald B. Rosenberg <No_at_address.net>
Date: 18 Jan 2003 19:38:49 GMT

In article <U2tV9.25229$jM5.66957_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>, howardjr2000 @yahoo.com.au says...

> "Gerald B. Rosenberg" <No_at_address.net> wrote in message >

> > Have I been defying the odds or is there no downside to leaving the
> > listener service running while the oracle instance is stopped and
> > restarted each night? Would you recommend start/stopping the listener
> > each time? (Database usage is essentially 12x5, so attempts to use the
> > database during backup runs simply don't occur.)
> >

> Is the Listener part of an Oracle database? No, it is not.
>
> Therefore, does it matter if the Listener is left running? No, it does not.
>
> You haven't been running any risks or getting lucky in any way. The Listener
> is irrelevant, and so the status of the Listener service is irrelevant.

Thanks to all who responded. Both helpful and educational.

> On the other hand, you don't say if you're running in archivelog mode or not
> (cold backups in archivelog mode are perfectly possible). If you are, make
> sure BackupExec is NOT backing up the online redo log components of your
> database. If you aren't, then still make sure it isn't backing them
> up -although in noarchivelog mode, it is much less serious an error to back
> them up than in archivelog.
>
> Get it wrong, and you really will be defying the odds.

Not sure I understand the exposure. I am running in noarchive mode and doing a full cold tape backup (nightly) of the closed database including all files in the <ORAHOME>/ORADATA/<SID> directory, which includes .CTL, .DBF, and .LOG files. I am also backing up various other .ORA files.

I have been able to transfer the database to another system with an otherwise identical installation of Oracle by restoring the backup'd files on the second system and then just starting the instance. That was (what I thought was) my proof that I was doing "the right thing."

What am I missing and what can I do to improve my odds?

Thanks again!

--
Gerald B. Rosenberg