Rebuilding a database

From: Jigar Parsana <jigarparsana_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2003 06:18:24 -0800

Hi,

    I have two questions in particular. I have a cold backup and a hot backup of a database. My Cold back up is basically a full backup of the entire oracle directory structure. and my hotbackup is done using Veritas backup exec. the thing is that we need to have this database on a new server so that we can test our backup and recovery procedures.My questions are:

1.What are the steps that i should do so create the database on the new server...should i just overwrite the entire directory structure or oracle using my cold back up ...or are there just some other files that i should copy and rebuild the database from that....if that is the case..what are the commands/steps to do so.

2. Once i build the database ...how do i apply the hotbackup to the new database so that we have data which is upto to the last hotbackup.

     Please understand that i am not a DBA and it just happens that there is no one at this point in time to do this job except me. I would highly appreciate any information on this problem...thanx in advance.

Jigar Received on Fri Jan 17 2003 - 08:18:24 CST