Re: Applications 11i newbie DBA question

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:32:09 GMT

BobGie wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm an Oracle DBA and have 3 yrs working experience.
> 1.) Is being an Oracle Applications DBA different with the current role
> that I do ?
> 2.) Where can I get more reference materials, books or websites, regarding
> installation, configurations and adminstration, on being an Apps DBA?
> 3.) Is an Oracle Application DBA has a higher pay than a regular Oracle
> DBA?
>
> With regards to books, I would appreciate it also if you can specify the
> name of your recommended book and its author.
>
> Thanks.
>
> JF

Yes, an Oracle Applications DBA has less control over the database than a "regular" DBA. You gotta live with db objects as the Application(s) define them. I once participated on a team that attempted to write sql scripts to extract some of the data to be fed into other applications (like Excel).

Companies that use Oracle Apps (or SAP or Peoplesoft or...) are always looking for people with experience. After all, none of them want to spend the thousands of dollars it takes to train their employees. They'd rather some other company foot the bill ... then steal the trained ones.

Went to amazon.com and searched books for "oracle applications" and found 31 hits. You might want to do this yourself and browse the titles and reader comments. Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 17:32:09 CST