Re: Identifying super users

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:31:27 -0800

tunity5_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> Thanks! You understood what I meant and this information helps a lot.
>
> My apologies to DA Morgan for my sloppy use of terminology (which is
> inexcusable) and for not including Oracle version numbers (which I
> thought was irrelevant within this context).
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<HAKU9.23596$jM5.62538_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> > <tunity5_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way to determine whether the current user is a super user
> > > (with admin privileges) from within a stored procedure?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > By Super User, I presume you mean an Oracle User who is able to perform any
> > one of the 5 privileged actions (create, startup, shutdown, backup and
> > recover)?
> >
> > For anyone to perform any of those actions, they must have been granted the
> > SYSDBA privilege, so it would be relatively easy to check v$pwdfile_users to
> > see who is a member.

> > Regards
> > HJR
No need to apologize. It is always a good idea to include it because of any of the following:

  1. Lets us know, for sure, the person posting is referring to Oracle
  2. Lets us know, for sure, they are not referring to an Oracle application (for example if the version was 11 or 11i)
  3. Lets us know, for sure, they are not referring to an Oracle tool (for example 5.0, 6.0, 6i)

And finally because if you don't know the answer to a question ... you don't know whether the version may affect the answer.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 15:31:27 CST