Strange behavior with SQLPLUS (Oracle)

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2003 07:53:58 -0800

I've recently moved to a new environment, and I'm getting some strange symptoms with sqlplus. The environment is:

Oracle 9.2, on solaris
Ibm thinkpad laptop
Smarterm and Putty

I've used both Smarterm and Putty to connect to unix and use sqlplus. It is using SSH, but the symptoms occur whether I am just using telnet, or ssh.

The symptom is:

When do I select some long columns, such as TABLE_OWNER, OR table_name, the field takes up a whole line.

IE.

Select 	table_owner ,
		table_name  ,
		partition_name,
		NUM_ROWS,
		LAST_ANALYZED
from		all_tab_partitions
where		NUM_ROWS = 0
ORDER BY 	TABLE_OWNER,
		TABLE_NAME,
		PARTITION_NAME

I have tried:
set linesize 30000
substr(table_owner, 1, 20) as table_owner

Yet, no matter what I do, the symptoms persist.

Set wrap is on. If I set it off, I will only see the first field.

The crazy thing is, that my neighbors' sqlplus works normally, and only returns 30 or less columns.

Is there a setting that I should be concerned about? Is it in sqlplus, or in the client software (Putty, or Smarterm)?

Thanks Received on Tue Jan 14 2003 - 09:53:58 CST