Re: 9i streams vs triggers

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:47:09 -0000

"Steve Jorgensen" <nospam_at_nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:b8du1vshj4u3qt609u9q8oniimtflpn7mf_at_4ax.com...
> >First of all I would like to question the need of a replica database
> >for reporting purposes. As for contention, this is simply not an
> >issue, if the application has been designed properly. Your post has a
> >distinct smell of finding a 'hardware solution' read 'workaround' for
> >what is in reality a software design problem.
>
> That's odd because everything I've read, including a book specifically
> on Oracle DBA suggests the schema designs and optimal database
> configurations for real-time and analysis are diametrically opposed,
> so you always have to choose either a compromise between the 2 or use
> separate databases and servers.

I'd say 'It depends'. It is *generally* true that reporting needs tend to favour full table scans, denormalisation, summary management etc etc most of which would be out of place in a pure OLTP environment. It is also true that reporting can place severe stress on a system which adversely affects other processes which compete for the same resources. However it is by no means always the case that the above is true, and in fact in what is now over a decade using IT I have yet to see a system that is Pure OLTP nearly all of them require reporting, most of them don't need anything like the horsepower of a data warehouse, as always YMMV. In addition as a reporting schema can have select access to the base tables, reside on different disks, be updated on a different schedule and still be hosted on the same machine even where you do need a seperation of reporting and transaction processing this does not necessarily imply a seperate DW box.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA