Re: 9i streams vs triggers

From: Steve Jorgensen <nospam_at_nospam.nospam>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:04:34 GMT

On Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:16:44 +0100, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 13:06:43 -0600, "servant" <mjohns1_at_uhc.com> wrote:
>
>>I have been tasked with developing a reporting architecture for an
>>application that has been developed over the last few months. I have been
>>told there are 2 main concerns: performance (contention) and complexity of
>>the data model. I am thinking of using Oracle's replication to maintain a
>>(near) real-time replica. That (basically) resolves the contention issue.
>>The complexity issue is more difficult.
>>
>>I am thinking about using 1) streams against the redo logs or 2) triggers to
>>pull the data from the replica, apply business logic to it, and populate a
>>"logical" data model on which reports can be generated. I would like to use
>>the same abstraction layer to go from the physical to the logical data model
>>as the application interface uses (Java objects with EJBs). In other words,
>>I need the code inside the streams or triggers to call Java methods (ie:
>>loadCustomerData(cust_id)) which would get the data and apply any business
>>logic and then populate the "logical" database.
>>
>>In essence, I think I am being asked to create a data warehouse, but I
>>haven't convinced myself of that yet.
>>
>>Anyway, here is my question: Does anyone have an opinion on which method
>>(streams or triggers) would tax my replica database more--from a CPU,
>>network, and/or contention perspective? Any opinions from other
>>perspectives which option is better (maintenance, etc).
>>

>First of all I would like to question the need of a replica database
>for reporting purposes. As for contention, this is simply not an
>issue, if the application has been designed properly. Your post has a
>distinct smell of finding a 'hardware solution' read 'workaround' for
>what is in reality a software design problem.

That's odd because everything I've read, including a book specifically on Oracle DBA suggests the schema designs and optimal database configurations for real-time and analysis are diametrically opposed, so you always have to choose either a compromise between the 2 or use separate databases and servers. Received on Fri Jan 10 2003 - 15:04:34 CST