Re: Effect of lack of memory

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 12 Jan 2003 11:24:41 -0800

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:<19pu1vcp3vcvsg59ng5a9p0hes88q9j7jf_at_4ax.com>...
> "David Sharples" <david.sharples3_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Yes I know. It is only a short test. I was just not sure if Oracle
> absolutely requires "unswappable" memory areas in order to start.
>
> It seems that it doesn't.

No problem with swapping (with exception of performance). I had an Oracle instance which consumed 14GB of memory on 4GB box. So 10GB swaped out, everything works correctly just very

sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.