Re: Oracle Management Server problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 06:40:31 +1100

"chan" <cpchaney_at_netvigator.com> wrote in message news:avrmps$48513_at_imsp212.netvigator.com...
> I have just set up an Oracle Management Server in my own Win 2000 Advanced
> Server.
> But once I go into it, it always displays a screen : Discover Wizard and
> asks me for entering a node.
> What does it mean ?

A "node" is a machine name. Specifically, the name of the machine on which an Oracle database and Intelligent Agent are running. By discovering the agent, you discover the database, and thus enable the Management Server to manage that database.

> I have tried the following items :
> (1) The Gobal Database Name of my Oracle database

Nope. That gets discovered once we find the Intelligent Agent.

> (2) The SID of my Oracle database

That's just the name of the Instance, and means nothing (Instance names can change at a moment's notice, because you can edit your ORACLE_SID at any time, and if you then re-started your instance, the new SID would apply).

> (3) The Gobal Database Name of the newly created Respository Database

Think about it. The Management Server wouldn't be running if you hadn't already created a Repository Database, and if it hadn't already opened it and connected to it. So it's not really very likely that it needs to discover the repository database, is it?

> (4) The SID of the newly created Respository Database

See above.

> (4) The computer name of my Win 2000 Advanced Server

That's more like it. But you say this doesn't work. Now, if I re-read your very first sentence again, I see that you've "just set up an Oracle Management Server in my own Win 2000 Advanced Server". Nowhere do you mention actually creating an Oracle database on the Advanced Server machine. So it doesn't sound as if you've a database there which either (a) needs discovering or (b) can be discovered.

Understand that the Repository Database is a small Oracle database that is only there to let the Management Server do its magic. It's not a "real" Oracle database in the sense of 'here's where I'm going to stick all my production data and do lots of clever SQL and PL/SQL'. So its existence doesn't count (besides which, as I said before, the Management Server already knows about the Repository Database, otherwise it wouldn't be working at all). The discovery wizard is all about discovering "real" databases to manage... so have you got a 'real' database or not?

If not, use the database configuration assistant to create one (say, a "General Database" if you're using 9i) and then run the discovery wizard again, supplying the name of your Advanced Server machine as the node name. And then see what happens.

If you already have a 'real' Oracle database on this machine, then check that the intelligent agent is running (it's visible as a service in the Administration Tools Services applet).

Regards
HJR