Re: Recovering from incomplete cold backup

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 06:23:21 GMT

Rick Denoire wrote:
> I shut down the DB and copied all files but one that I forgot.
>
> I issued a "backup controlfile to trace" and edited the output to
> produce a script allowing me the make a clone DB with a different
> name, but of course opening the clone DB failed.
>
> Then I hot copied the missing file and retried the operation.
> Oracle demands now to recover this very data file. At this point, I
> got stuck.

Presumably if you took a hotbackup, your source database was in archivelog mode. If you're in archivelog mode, presumably you have your archives available for recovery, yes? So why not just apply the archive(s) Oracle needs to make that hotbackup consistent and move on?

> What are my chances to get the clone DB open and running?

Excellent, if you have the archives necessary.

> The missing datafile probably did not change at all (I mean its
> content, it has a different SCN of course) and it is the only datafile
> on its own tablespace, which I would willingly get rid of in this
> clone DB because it is not important in this situation.

Ah, well, if you don't care about that datafile, then 1) leave it out of your create controlfile script entirely; 2) leave it in the cc script but drop the tablespace or offline that datafile before opening the database or 3) just go ahead and recover that datafile as I mentioned above.

Regards,
Sean Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 00:23:21 CST