Re: Recovering from incomplete cold backup

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:57:37 +0100

Sean M <smckeown_at_adelphia.net> wrote:

>Rick Denoire wrote:
>> I shut down the DB and copied all files but one that I forgot.
>>
>> I issued a "backup controlfile to trace" and edited the output to
>> produce a script allowing me the make a clone DB with a different
>> name, but of course opening the clone DB failed.
>>
>> Then I hot copied the missing file and retried the operation.
>> Oracle demands now to recover this very data file. At this point, I
>> got stuck.
>
>Presumably if you took a hotbackup, your source database was in
>archivelog mode. If you're in archivelog mode, presumably you have your
>archives available for recovery, yes? So why not just apply the
>archive(s) Oracle needs to make that hotbackup consistent and move on?

As a matter of fact, after some tries I ended up doing just that. I said "recover database using backup controlfile" and applied the archived logs as Oracle demanded, and went through all of them. Oracle kept offering the same prompt: <datafile> CANCEL AUTO etc. Then, as there was no more archived log to apply, I said CANCEL, but the database didn't come up after a command "OPEN DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS".
>> The missing datafile probably did not change at all (I mean its
>> content, it has a different SCN of course) and it is the only datafile
>> on its own tablespace, which I would willingly get rid of in this
>> clone DB because it is not important in this situation.
>
>Ah, well, if you don't care about that datafile, then 1) leave it out of
>your create controlfile script entirely; 2) leave it in the cc script
>but drop the tablespace or offline that datafile before opening the
>database or 3) just go ahead and recover that datafile as I mentioned above.

OK, that is a good hint. It would be so simple just to leave the "bad" datafile out of the create controlfile script.

Thanks
Rick Denoire Received on Sat Jan 11 2003 - 16:57:37 CST