Locally Managed Tablespaces ... again!!!

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 16:07:13 -0000

Afternoon,

In addition to what Alistair and Nuno have advised, bear in mind that anyone with create table privs can come along and trash the DBA's nicely defined default storage settings simply by using explicit storage settings on the create.

Then we have the wonderful export/import problem. Exp defaults to compress=yes so when you set up a nice little tablespace with suitable default storage, running the import and allowing the objects to be created by import causes the default storage settings to be ignored and you get lots of tables and indexes with all their data in one large extent, and the next extent size is something like 50% of that size. (Of course, that helps performance <joke>)

The outcome is no more uniform sizes.

Cheers,
Norman.

PS. Can you tell I get (slightly) irritated at people who send me dumps which have compress=yes ?
PPS. Imports run far far quicker when creating extents dynamically with LMT - even our QA section noticed that !

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk