Newbie question about "alter database create datafile.."

From: oracle2000 <member22056_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 03:29:20 +0000

Hi,
  I am new to backup and recovery concepts and I hope someone can help   me answer this question. I came across the "alter database create   datafile ..." command in 8i Backup and Recovery book(Rama Velpuri) and   according to my understanding, the command can be used to create an   empty datafile out of nothing, then use archived logs to recover it to   its pink of health.

  But I got a problem. Lets say I issued a "create controlfile ...   noresetlogs.." command, then I tried to invoke "alter database create   datafile .." command at a later stage and *BANG*, I received the error   message saying

ORA-01178: file 4 created before last CREATE CONTROLFILE, cannot recreate
ORA-01110: data file 4: 'E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\TRIAL\TBSP2.DBF'

  I experimented oracle9i with the following info. from v$version: Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
CORE 9.2.0.1.0 Production
TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production

  Did I miss out something? Omitted some crucial step or did not apply   some oracle patch? Please help. Thanks.