Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 21:56:25 +0100

On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:28:11 +0000, Belinda wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am a C++ programmer and I am now planning to make a transition to
> either C# or Java. I am not sure whether to take up C# or Java. Some
> people say the future is C# and .Net and others say Java. I am
> confused between the arguments between the Microsoft and the Java
> camps. Can you all kindly throw in some enlightenment on the
> differences between C# and Java and what is the value proposition for
> somebody starting now in Java or C# to start in them. Also please note
> my primary development environment is Windows platform which language
> is the fastest to learn, performance wise and the future of the
> languages. I have heard that Java as performance issues is that
> correct and C# is only windows centric ?. But right now my only
> development platform will be Windows. I am supposed to make this
> decision for my company I am free to choose C# or Java.
>
> Which must I choose and why ?
>
> Thanks
> Bel

If you want to learn only one of the two technologies you may short term get mor bang for the buck with .NET and C#. You will, of course, limit yourself and your company to Windows. But that may be OK.

If you use Java you can program anything, even a mobile phone. You will also be 100% platform independent and the tools and compilers get better all the time.

Your open source choices also seem to be wider with Java.

The good thing about Java is that thanks to Sun and IBM and, partly, Oracle and others, Java runs really well on Microsoft's Windows platforms.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Wed Jan 08 2003 - 14:56:25 CST