Re: What's best - to resize datafiles or add new ones?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 21:19:39 -0000

"DA Morgan" <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3E1B02C2.C27D0D8C_at_exesolutions.com...
> First time I've ever heard someone make the statement that there is an
> argument (good or otherwise) to make all datafiles the same size.
>
> I'd be interested in the issues as you see them.

Standardising allocation units across disks. Making sure all units of backup/recovery are the same size Predicting disk space usage. (In 3 weeks we will need another datafile and this will leave us with space fr only 3 more so its time to buy x extra disks.)
If reorganising datafiles for performance you know that moving two datafiles from tablespace x allows one datafile each of tablespace y and z to be moved back to that device.

And of course "it looks neat". None of these are *compelling* arguments but I would rather have ten datafiles of 2g each than 1 of 10, one of 512m, 6 of 384m 1 of 2m etc etc.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA