Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 17:27:52 +1100

27 Dec 2002 08:23:12 -0600, Galen Boyer said (and I quote):

> The issue really becomes that there is a J2EE crowd and then
> there is a database crowd.

Precisely. And let me stress: this "duality" comes from the J2EE crowd every single time, IME. Not once are they willing to accept that there is a little bit more about databases than just what JDBC has.

> I would take your design and slap a
> object layer for client interaction with java.

Buddy, I've even provided them with object (struct) interfaces through the JDBC stuff! They were completely incapable of clicking into it.

If it's not in the example cookbook provided by WSAD and IBM in a deranged red book somewhere, they don't even want to hear about it...

> Stored procedures
> aren't evil.

Tell that to J2EE "God" Scott Ambler & Co. And the Jakarta mob...

> If the J2EE guys could just think of the database
> as one big static class offering up methods then we would all be
> okay. :-)

Narh! That would be too easy.
Eschew simplicity is the middle name of J2EE... :(

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto