Re: Java to die in 2003

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2002 08:23:12 -0600

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam wrote:

> The J2EE mob spent 6 months discussing how they would
> "interface" to the database, to the servlets, if they would use
> Javascript on the front-end, etcetc. It seemed like even the
> most basic tasks were an insurmountable cacophony of
> "interfaces", "data-access-objects", instantiations, blah-
> blah-blah...
>
> In the meantime, I came up with the design for the database,
> together with my design pal. We put together an API based on
> PL/SQL that basically provided object-relational mapping
> directly off Java objects in their DAOs. Objects, not classes.
>
> Big bunfight with the J2EE morons, because we were "using
> PL/SQL and stored procedures and their book says that is
> *evil*"! All sorts of deranged, insane arguments ensued.

The issue really becomes that there is a J2EE crowd and then there is a database crowd. I would take your design and slap a object layer for client interaction with java. Stored procedures aren't evil. If the J2EE guys could just think of the database as one big static class offering up methods then we would all be okay. :-)

--
Galen Boyer