Re: Outrage that OCP exams are now unproctored - Comments?

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 27 Dec 2002 08:15:19 -0800

Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3e0bdae7$0$7813$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> 26 Dec 2002 06:39:15 -0800, michael ngong said (and I quote):
>
> > I am not sure what some people expect OCP,s to do.Get in and
> > solve every problem or answer all questions which are oracle related?
>

> Would be fun if for once a few of them could actually get ANY problem
> solved or one question answered...

???One question answered I thought that is what the exam is all about?

It is interesting to note that the OCP,s you know cannnot turn on archiving . I am not trying to back any one here but there could be students of yours who will be found wanting once you deviate the least from the curriculum so why do you expect OCP,s to be different. You still have a right to take your stand

> > Just like other diplomas and every work of life, some people come out
> > without a lot to offer while others come out with the feel of some
> > one who has been working for a while.
>

> So because the "other walks of life" are blatantly wrong, we should
> perpetuate the same mistake with OCP?

OCP should be the exception to life Right?Just as it is not possible to correct other works of life I would think it is not possible to correct OCP,s

> > But the bottom line is you know at least
> > on a theoretical bases ( assuming
> > you read books exclusively in preparation for the tests )some very
> > useful information about Oracle.
>

> No you don't. The OCP is an exam with multiple choice answers, mostly
> unrelated to any real life situations. Many of the questions are more
> related to you knowing the marketing flavour of the month (release)
> rather than you knowing anything about databases. You know jack about
> running a real installation after completing it. The whole thing is
> bogus, always was, always will be.

Have you written any exam?I had a while ago and do not remember any questions on version, may be things have changed with the years (cannot say).

Did you compare OCP exam to board exams somewhere?That seems a little out of line comparism .I am sure Oracle will accept recommendations for the exam but the comparism at least IMHO is a not a good one I cannot guarantee but you still produce students who are wanting once you step on anything the least deviant from your curriculum.Once more OCP should not be expected to be an exception

> > "Worthless" therefore is not the proper word
>
> It is an appropriate word. The only organisation for which it is not
> worthless is Oracle and the multiple "examiners" who have made a motza
> out of something that is fundamentally flawed and was never asked for by
> the user community.

Once more as much as OCP is far from ideal, it could enjoy a lot of improvement but it is not "worthless"
My opnion
Michael Tubuo Ngong(DBA) Received on Fri Dec 27 2002 - 10:15:19 CST