Re: Backup problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 06:21:19 +1100

> > Hi All,
> >
> > We are using oracle 9.2.0 on Solaris 8.
> >
> > I try to execute the following at SQL> prompt
> >
> > SQL> alter tablespace <tablespace name> begin backup;
> >
> > ERROR at line 1:
> > ORA-01123: cannot start online backup; media recovery not enabled
> >

> > can some one tell me what is the remedy for this problem? thanks a lot,
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > ShravanaKumar.
>
> Archiving is not enabled in your instance turn on archiving and try again
> Michael Tubuo Ngong(DBA)

Careful, Michael. What you refer to as 'turn on archiving' is usually interpreted to mean 'switch on ARCH' (ie, alter system archive log start or set LOG_ARCHIVE_START=TRUE in the init.ora).

Actually (and what I think you meant to say), the error arises when the database is not in archivelog mode, which can only be accomplished by a clean shutdown, startup mount, and then an alter database archivelog.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Dec 26 2002 - 13:21:19 CST