Re: ora:01017 invalid username/password

From: Mick cooke <michael.cooke_at_tinyworld.co.uk>
Date: 3 Dec 2002 13:56:04 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<urgouuonm56gq8hl09eipfdnoh8h4nfiip_at_4ax.com>...
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 23:19:58 -0000, "michael cooke"
> <michael.cooke_at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the quick reply
> >
> >Am I right in saying then that user account creation is different in oracle
> >81 as previously
> >create user fred identified by password would work
> >do I now need to create users accounts as create user \\domain\fred
> >identified by password
> >or is there a parameter where the domain name can be input. (is this Win2K
> >or an oracle 81 requirement?
> >regds
> >mick
>

> No. Database authenticated users are created as usual. *O/S*
> authenticated users - so sqlplus / will connect- have to be created
> *with* their domain names. This has changed in 8i.
> As different domains are fully allowed there is no parameter.
>
> regards
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

thanks again sybrand
I tried to create a usser as suggested
logged into svrmgrl as system
example.
svrmgrl> create user \\abc_win\fred identified externally this produced an error (sorry forgot to write it down. will do so tomorrow Tried again
svrmgrl> create user fred identified externally svrmgrl> statment processed
(granted connect and dba to fred)
created network account and gave domain admin privs

logged onto the server as fred
svrmgrl> connect /@db
svrmgrl> ora:01017 invalid username/password blah .......... I am getting really frustrated
am I missing something here?

p.s
also tried this on a standalone server same problem works great in 7.3.3
svrmgr23> connect /@db
svrmgr23> connected

sorry to be a pain
mick Received on Tue Dec 03 2002 - 15:56:04 CST