Listener service does not start

From: Vern Shellman <Vern.Shellman_at_attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 05:02:25 GMT

I've got Oracle8i installed on a single machine running NT4.0/SP5 and the listener won't start. The installation went well and I can access the database using SQL*Plus or Server Manager, but ran into problems configuring OEM. It said there was no listener, and it was right! The service wasn't started even though it was set to automatic. Trying to start the service manually, Windows waits a bit then reveals that nothing happened but no errors were reported either. Launching LISTENER.EXE directly opens a DOS window with a blinking cursor that just sits there doing nothing.

My question is this: Is the executable corrupt, or is it waiting on an improper configuration setting somewhere? if corrupt, is there a way to reinstall just the service from the CD without having to do a complete reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Vern Shellman
Vern_Shellman_at_BWN.net Received on Sun Dec 01 2002 - 23:02:25 CST