Re: RMAN and two LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_<n>

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 06:43:47 +1100

"Marc Blum" <marc_at_marcblum.de> wrote in message news:3hokuugm6ag5ttn98igugl7r1k6vamj5gd_at_4ax.com...
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 05:51:00 +1100, "Howard J. Rogers"
> <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Marc,
> >
> >To put it bluntly: RMAN doesn't work in a Parallel Server environment.
> >
> >Full stop. Period.
> >
> >You're doing nothing wrong, but merely encountering the reason why an
> >upgrade to 9i would be recommended, because in 9i, RMAN works perfectly
with
> >RAC.
> >
> >I know, I know... that's out of the question. In which case: get another
> >backup strategy, 'cos RMAN isn't reliable in OPS.
> >
> >Regards
> >HJR
>
> Howard,
>
> first, thank you very much.
>
> second, is this your personal opinion (which I appreciate very much) or an
> official statement by Oracle Corp.?

I never, ever speak for Oracle Corp. They have plenty enough lawyers to do that for them. Everything I post here is always my own opinion. Always.

>If first, who do I have to contact, to get a
> statement by Oracle Corp.?

I wouldn't know, I'm afraid.

>If Oracle Corp. supports your opinion, I have to
> escalate it to my customer and stop the project. If Oracle doesn't support
your
> opinion, I'm stuck, because if someone like you (or Jonathan or Tom or
Sybrand
> or Richard or Nuno or ...) says it's unreliable, I won't go for it, but
the
> customer wants something more official.

Understand. I will do some digging to see what I can come up with. But bear in mind that RMAN in 8i wasn't even smart enough to realise that there were multiple log destinations: archivelog all delete input would clear out LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST, for example, but it was clueless about LOG_ARCHIVE_DUPLEX_DEST and wouldn't delete anything from there. All I'm saying is: they expended huge efforts in getting RMAN in 9i to be a very capable tool, and one of those new capabilities was to backup a RAC without manual fudging.

Regards
HJR