Re: 9iAS / 9iFS on same machine as 9iDB

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 11:10:27 +0100

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:47:01 +0000, Ethel Aardvark wrote:

> I am trying to install 9i application server with iFS on the same
> machine (W2K) as my 9i database. The installation notes contain
> Post-Configuration Tasks which state that they assume that AS & iFS
> are on a different machine from the DB. (I assume this is because they
> both rely on the PC's ORACLE_HOME pointing to their own home directory
> - and they cannot share the same home.)
> The trouble is that at this stage I am unable to use two machines.
>
> Can anyone help me, I really must sort this out ASAP!
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> EA

I have 9iAS, the database, and iFS running on the same machine.

9iAS comes in (usually) two parts: 1) the mid-tier or infrastructure database used for (Portal) metadata and LDAP (used for SSO). 2) iAS it self with all the Java processes.

Each of those is an 'instance' and each comes with its own OHS (Apache server) because they use http(s) internally for coordination.

iFS needs to be installed in the iAS ORACLE_HOME, not the infrastructure home.

When you start the whole thing you can conserve resources by not starting the things you don't need (Forms, reports, Clickstream, Business Intelligence, etc.) Note that the portal software and possibly other components won't work if you do not also start webcache. You cand find a configuration xml file in webcache's directory. The initial size will probably be 512 MB set aside. For a small machine, set it to 128 MB and do a webcachectl stop, then start.

Don't even attemt to do any of this if you have less than 1GB RAM in your machine.

Cheers,

dmz17 Received on Sat Nov 30 2002 - 04:10:27 CST