Re: ORACLE EXPORT TO EXCEL, DBASE???

From: Michael Gast <michael.gast_at_seppmed.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:14:19 +0100

Hi Ralph,

RALPHNOBLE schrieb:
> Thanks ... the Oracle database is of property records ... there's
seven tables
> in the database ... we simply need the data exported into a format we can
> import into Microsoft Access, FoxPro or Excel. We're talking about 12K
records
> per table. I know in SQL Server it's a simple DTS export to the ODBC
> application of my choosing. Is it that more difficult in Oracle just
to get the
> data in the tables exported to fixed-width or delimited flat text
files, or
> Excel, dBase or Access or something????

It should be possible to do it in a similar way as with MS SQL-Server. You can use ODBC data sources to export data to another system or you can generate flat files.

Unfortunately i for myself did not start to investigate these points up to now - i will do it near in the future. So i actually cannot give you further hints. But i found two starting points in the Oracle documentation. Probably you also could find example code at OTN.ORACLE.COM.

From Heterogenous Connectivity Admin Guide:

SQL Execution:
SQL statements sent using a Generic Connectivity agent are executed differently depending on the type of agent you are using: ODBC, OLE DB (SQL), or OLE DB (FS). For example, if a SQL statement involving tables is sent using an ODBC agent for a file-based storage system, the file can be manipulated as if it were a table in a relational database. The naming conventions used at the non-Oracle system can also depend on whether you are using an ODBC or OLE DB agent.

From OWB users guide:

Selecting a Flat File Operator:
You can use a Mapping Flat File operator as a data source or data target. As a data source, the Mapping Flat File operator acts as the row set generator for reading from a flat file. To use a flat file as a target, a file source module must exist and it must contain valid flat files. A mapping to a flat file target generates a PL/SQL package that is spooled into a flat file instead of loading data into rows in a table. When you define a Mapping Flat File operator as a target, you are using an existing file as a template for the target flat file. Warehouse Builder comes with a file source module called TARGET_FILES for use as a template. This module contains a comma-delimited file (CSV_FILE) and a fixed-length file (FIXED_LENGTH_FILE), and each file contains ten fields of the CHAR data type.

Have a look at TAHITI.ORACLE.COM for detailed information.

--
All emails sent to this address are never read and never will be
answered. Sorry, but until someone cleans up the spam mess, that's the

E-Mails, die direkt an diese Adresse geschickt werden, lese und
beantworte ich nicht. Ich bedauere diesen Umstand sehr, kenne derzeit
aber keine bessere Möglichkeit, um die Spam-Flut abzustellen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Michael Gast
SEPP MED GmbH