Generic ODBC

From: Eddy Walet <ewalet_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:26:41 +0100

Jan,

As alternatives for Oracle I am looking into other database. I want a database to develop against and want to keep my options open.

I have a WindowsNT 3.51 with SQLServer 6.0 running in a VirtualPC emulator. I tried to use OpenLinkSW generic ODBC module, but I was not succesfull in making a connection. I made some changes (e.g. added connection through tcp/ip in addition to the named pipes that is default). Do you have experience with this setup? NOTE: I can FTP to this server, so tcp is working. I cannot use a share which is probably due to incompatibilities.

I have mySQL installed on my test computer (MacOSX). Together with Apache and PHP I am going to use this for developing an interactive website (making the current static website interactive). I tried to use OpenLinkSW generic ODBC module, but I was not succesfull in making a connection. I know that mySQL rejects remote connections, but these are local. Do you have experience with this setup?

Regards,
Eddy Walet Received on Tue Nov 26 2002 - 04:26:41 CST