Re: iAS 9.0.2.0.1 on SuSE Linux 8.1

From: <dirish_at_arsmagna.com>
Date: 25 Nov 2002 19:53:05 -0700

Markus Schmidt <markus_at_the-schmidts.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded iAS 9.0.2.0.1 from OTN and tried to install on a SuSE
> Linux 8.1 box.
> (Yes, I know it's not vertified, but it's only a test environment).
>
> First I set the kernel parameters, created a user and set the
> env-parameters (just it is described in the installation manual).
> ksh and the other requirements are present.
> Because I have only one server (1.5 GB RAM, 2 GHz, enough disk space)
> , I would like to install infrastructure and the BI on this box.
> I created a ORACLE_HOME for infrastructure.
>
> In the installer I chose Infrastructure and the installation suceeds
> (the problem with the linking / genclntsh is solved) and all seems
> fine.
>
> But now the configuration goes on and problems occur:
>
> 1. the listener doesn't start. Although it's in the log file, there is
> no listener in the process list.
> To solve this, I started manually "lsnrctl start LISTENER" and
> stopped the assistant.
>
> 2. dbca copies the database files, but on startup theres an error
> (ORA-1503) in "CREATE CONTROLFILE" and an error ORA-1990 "error
> opening password file". This causes the database not to start. I tried
> several times to create the orapw, but this doesn't change
> anything. If I try to start the database manually (ALTER DATABASE
> MOUNT; ALTER DATABASE OPEN), all works fine.
> What's the problem??? Are there files missing in the installation CDs
> (e.g. orapw) or ist there another step I have to do?
> I read the manual "Howto: install Oracle RDBMS/Application Server
> 9iR2 on SuSe 8.0, provided by Timothy Z. Cole Jr.,
> http://www.elisabeth-olaf.de/net/oracle-linux/", but this is only
> version 9iR2 and not 9.0.2.0.1/SuSE 8.0 and not 8.1.
>
> 3. Due to the previous error, OID-installation hangs.
> 4. Only action I could do is abort the whole installation.
>
> Has anyone out there a running system on linux? How often must I try
> to get iAs work?
>
> Thanks,
> Markus Schmidt

This is not a SuSE problem, or at least not only a SuSE problem. I am having the same problems with RedHat 8.0.

I didn't have the listener problem but I did have the password file problem. I used the utility to create a password file and then the dbca ran O.K.

However, I have not been able to get around the OID problem. There was a hint on OTN, but not enough for me to figure it out.

I would like to know if anybody has gotten iAS 9.0.2.0.1 on RedHat 8.0 and for that matter, has anybody gotten the Collaboration Suite to run on 8.0?

Thanks,
Dudley Irish Received on Mon Nov 25 2002 - 20:53:05 CST