iAS 9.0.2.0.1 on SuSE Linux 8.1

From: Markus Schmidt <markus_at_the-schmidts.de>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:04:58 +0100

Hi,

I downloaded iAS 9.0.2.0.1 from OTN and tried to install on a SuSE Linux 8.1 box.
(Yes, I know it's not vertified, but it's only a test environment).

First I set the kernel parameters, created a user and set the env-parameters (just it is described in the installation manual). ksh and the other requirements are present. Because I have only one server (1.5 GB RAM, 2 GHz, enough disk space) , I would like to install infrastructure and the BI on this box. I created a ORACLE_HOME for infrastructure.

In the installer I chose Infrastructure and the installation suceeds
(the problem with the linking / genclntsh is solved) and all seems fine.

But now the configuration goes on and problems occur:

  1. the listener doesn't start. Although it's in the log file, there is no listener in the process list. To solve this, I started manually "lsnrctl start LISTENER" and stopped the assistant.
  2. dbca copies the database files, but on startup theres an error
    (ORA-1503) in "CREATE CONTROLFILE" and an error ORA-1990 "error opening
    password file". This causes the database not to start. I tried several times to create the orapw, but this doesn't change anything. If I try to start the database manually (ALTER DATABASE MOUNT; ALTER DATABASE OPEN), all works fine. What's the problem??? Are there files missing in the installation CDs
    (e.g. orapw) or ist there another step I have to do?
    I read the manual "Howto: install Oracle RDBMS/Application Server 9iR2 on SuSe 8.0, provided by Timothy Z. Cole Jr., http://www.elisabeth-olaf.de/net/oracle-linux/", but this is only version 9iR2 and not 9.0.2.0.1/SuSE 8.0 and not 8.1.
  3. Due to the previous error, OID-installation hangs.
  4. Only action I could do is abort the whole installation.

Has anyone out there a running system on linux? How often must I try to get iAs work?

Thanks,
Markus Schmidt Received on Sat Nov 23 2002 - 06:04:58 CST