Re: Help writing SQL query

From: Damjan S. Vujnovic <damjan_at_NOSPAMgaleb.etf.bg.ac.yu>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 23:36:53 -0800

> The only thing I can think of, and I don't believe you are suggesting
> this, is for example to create a table with a flag in it for each
> shapeID where the flag indicates whether the sometimes complex parent
> shape has a triangle in it, or a rectangle, or a pentagon, or some of
> them, or all of them etc; then then use these flags to cut down the
> hitset prior to the intensive searching on the absolute connectivity.
> If you are then unfortunately for me I don't know what shapes the user
> will search the CAD on, so I can't place limitations, specifically a

Least you can do is to write optimized queries for 'small shapes' (n = 3, 4, 5..) and provide generic queries (you can generate them programatically) for larger n...

> flag indicating I know about specific inner shapes in advance, to make
> things simple.

I'm not asking for exact numbers, but can at least estimate:

1) Maximum number of shapes (not so important)
2) Maximum number of nodes per shape
3) Maximum value of n (assuming you wanna find number of n-agons in a given
shape)?

And, first of all, you should specify:
0) What else do you want from your data (what other queries you wanna perform)?

> If you're not then elaboration would be both informative to the task
> at hand, and just plain interesting.

Regards,
Damjan S. Vujnovic

University of Belgrade
School of Electrical Engineering
Department of Computer Engineering & Informatics Belgrade, Yugoslavia

http://galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu/~damjan/ Received on Sun Nov 24 2002 - 01:36:53 CST