Re: Multi-Master Replication.

From: Van Messner <vmessner_at_bestweb.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 17:26:01 -0500

We use multimaster replication at 8 sites around the world - North America, Asia, Europe. It works BUT... in my opinion this is not one of Oracle's most robust products. If you go ahead with this be sure

    You have someone on staff who really, really knows replication and what to do when problems arise - they will arise.

    Your applications are bombproof in either preventing conflicts or handling them. DO NOT let the developers tell you "conflicts will never happen, our apps don't allow them".

    Your network supports the amount of data you want to move around.     You can cope with a replication setup where master sites are running different versions of Oracle - sooner or later you'll face this.

It is also a good idea to have DBAs available who can jump on rows which show up in deferror shortly after they appear, in order to keep problems from compounding. This may imply enough DBAs to handle a 24x7 or a 24x5 system.

Van