Re: Bye Oracle.

From: M Hashim <m.a.n.hashim_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 23:29:41 -0800

Glen hit the nail right on its head....(see the Oracle Hammer). "Not sure how it would apply to a data warehousing app, but it showed that depending on more than a few factors sometimes MSSQL was less $$$ and sometimes it was more. Oracles licensing matrix is quite simple now, the MSSQL one is not, and I got three different answers from three different MS reps when I was enquiring for more details."

Heard a few similar "horror" stories.

I have a feeling, your project success is tied directly to the sales person walking thru the door.

Keep us posted on your success(es).

Good luck.

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2IPC9.14735$Cn2.1569552_at_news2.telusplanet.net...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > I'd have thought an interesting comparison would be the one off cost of
> > converting your datawarehouse (include training costs etc for developers
> > dbas etc) compared to the annual 'saving' on license costs. Naturally a
> > better comparison would include the cost of the different levels of
> > availability but this is almost impossible to quantify. My suggestion at
> > least compares cash you will spend now with the saving you will obtain.
If