Re: Oracle History??

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 17:42:13 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<WSHC9.80398$g9.226171_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> Looks perfect, Mark. Thanks so much.
>
> I'd thank Richard, too, of course, but the signal to noise (ie, Oracle to
> Bowie) ratio was too high to make much sense of it all. ;-)
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> "Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
> >
> > http://www.osborne.com/products/0072192798/0072192798_ch01.pdf
> >
> > I think Ken Jacobs at least reviewed this (I'll check tomorrow)
> >

> > in article F1GC9.80274$g9.226215_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com, Richard Foote at
> > richard.foote_at_bigpond.com wrote on 11/19/02 11:49 PM:
> >
> > > Hi Howard,
> > >
> > > I got this from old notes and stuff I've kept:
> > >
> > > 1978: Oracle 1
> > > - Ran on PDP-11 under RSX, 128K memory

Say, wasn't that 32KW? (KiloWords, 2bytes each) I thought they didn't use the secondary processor mode, or whatever it was called, that early. But I was a RSTS man, so RSX may have been different anyways. I have "some" PDP and DECUS docs back to '80.

> > > - Written in assembly language
> > > - Separate Oracle code and user code due to memory limitations of RSX
> > > - David Bowie toured Australia for the first time

Heroes album still one of my favorites.

> > > 1980: Oracle 2
> > > - Ran on VAX/VMS in compatibility mode
> > > - Written in PDP-11 assembly language
> > > - David Bowie made No 1 with Ashes To Ashes single
> > >
> > > 1982: Oracle 3
> > > - Written in C
> > > - Retained split architecture
> > > - Introduced transactions
> > > - David Bowie starred in the BBC production of Baal

That's when I briefly worked with it, on VMS 3.2 IIRC. Impressive, but no more so than Ingres, and DEC stuff won out on most places I saw anyways.

> > > 1984: Oracle 4
> > > - Introduced read consistency
> > > - Ported to many platforms
> > > - First interoperability between PC and Server
> > > - David Bowie release the "Tonight" album. No 1 in England.
> > >
> > > 1986: Oracle 5
> > > - True client-server
> > > - VAX cluster support
> > > - Distributed queries
> > > - David Bowie produced Iggy Pop's "Blab Blah Blah" album

I have docs/floppies in my basement from pc v5, sqlplus v2.0 should anyone care.

> > > 1989: Oracle 6
> > > - OLTP performance enhancements
> > > - Online backup and recovery
> > > - Row level locking
> > > - PL/SQL procedures
> > > - Parallel server
> > > - David Bowie fronted Tin Machine (unfortunately)

Hey, I like Tin Machine! Was it that long ago?

> > > 1993: Oracle 7
> > > - Shared SQL
> > > - Data Warehousing
> > > - Parallel everything
> > > - Advanced Replication
> > > - David Bowie release "Black Tie/White Noise" to rave reviews
> > >
> > > 1997: Oracle 8
> > > - Object-relational database
> > > - Partitioning
> > > - David Bowie released "Earthling"
> > >
> > > Hope it's of some use.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > >
> > > Richard
> > > "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> first
> Parallel
> doo-dah's

> source