Re: 9i multi cache buffer

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 09:23:18 -0800

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<7JhA9.75556$g9.212743_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com>...
> You're asking me????
>
> My advice on such matters is (1) consult your vendor and (2) consult Steve
> Adams, who says that HP-UX has an 8K block size. He goes on to say the
> following (which makes about as much sense to me as the output from top):

What doesn't make sense about the output from top? It's just a tool, you just need to know how to read it, without reading too much determinism into it. Is it the RES column that bothers you? That is just an approximation of the real memory usage at a particular snapshot in time, not adjusted for shared memory. It is useful for a very rough approximation of memory usage. Other tools are better for most purposes, but top is likely to be on any unix machine, while the other tools may require some amount of work or money to apply. So read the man page, look at the source if you really want to know something, google and ask reasonable questions.

> If your operating system is not listed in the table above, you should be
> able to work out the file system buffer size by studying the ratio of blks/s
> to r+w/s in the sar -d output for various buffered filesystems.

Well that certainly wouldn't make much sense if you don't have your system configured to be able to use sar. But if you do, take a look, division and ratios really aren't that hard!

> Let us know what the outcome is, so I can shut up about a 'right' block
> size.

I have a feeling this horse won't die so easy.

> Regards
> HJR
>
> "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > See below
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> >
> > Jonathan Lewis
> > http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
> >
> > Next Seminar dates:
> > (see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html )
> >
> > ____USA__________November 7/9 (Detroit)
> > ____USA__________November 19/21 (Dallas)
> > ____England______November 12/14
> >
> > The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
> > http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html
> >

> > Howard J. Rogers wrote in message ...
> > >
> > >Under Oracle9i individual tablespaces can have a block size that
> differs
> > >from the database block size. Of course, this should not be
> considered if
> > >the database is using buffered I/O, because in that case the database
> block
> > >size must match the file system buffer size exactly.
> > >

> > As far as I am aware, I can choose the file system block-size on my HP
> > each time I add a filesystem - so is there a unit block size that is
> > used
> > to support the HP filesystem irrespective of the declared filesystem
> > block
> > size ? (e.g. the 4K that I think may be the default HP memory page
> > size).

jg

--
@home is bull.