Internals of 'select' vs 'cursors' in plsql

From: Newbie <learning_still_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 19 Nov 2002 21:31:20 -0800

Hi,

How are implicit cursors faster than explicit cursors? Like PL/SQL 'SELECT' statements invoke implicit cursors. And also we can have explicit cursors like

DECLARE
Cursor c1 Is
SELECT ename, dept
FROM emp
WHERE empid = :employee.emp_id;
BEGIN
OPEN c1;
FETCH c1 INTO ...

CLOSE c1;
END; wat additional overheads would this have as against using a simple SELECT INTO :employee.emp_id? I am looking for some internals/details on what goes 'behind the scenes' in both the cases.

I would also appreciate if you could guide me to some good and useful examples/resources on the net and also on comparisons of IMPLICIT and EXPLICIT CURSORS Received on Tue Nov 19 2002 - 23:31:20 CST