Re: 9i multi cache buffer

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 10:34:42 +1100

> > > Hi Howard,
> > >
> > > OS Platform => Solaris, with raw devices.
> > >

> > 16K.
>
> Hi Howard,
>
> 16K is the best block size here, period.

Richard, if you want me to revise my previous reply where I said I only needed to ask about the O/S then I shall: by "O/S" I of course meant "O/S and the file system it imples". You have an O/S but don't have a file system. The sky is therefore the limit, and you are free to choose whatever block size you fancy. I would still go for 16K because contention issues would be manageable by other means, and yet it's big enough to get the benefit of good I/O on the index.

So, yes. Period.

> You can think of no situation or set of conditions where another block
size
> might be more appropriate ? .

On the whole, no.

HJR