Re: DB2 entering Wall Street. Will Oracle be left behind??

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:29:18 GMT

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:27:32 +1100, Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:13:48 -0500, Serge Rielau said (and I quote):
>> An outsourcing contract with IBM, does not automatically mean a change
>> in the hardware or software. Just note the number of IBM Global
>
>Of course not. But it means fat commissions for anyone in that outsource
>deal that manages to "sell" IBM in that account, no? Even to the point
>of "offering" them a "position" within the company...
>

>> However, it is true that the financial industry is moving away from
>> Sybase and that DB2 has penetrated this market with DB2 V7. This
>> includes J.P Morgan.
>
>Purely by accident.
>
>The notion that IBM outsourcing is maker-agnostic is pure bollocks.
>
>--
>Cheers
>Nuno Souto
>nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au.nospam

Just like Serge said, we'll have to agree to disagree. I *am* an IGS insider. A few years ago my company outsourced the entire IT department to IBM GS. One day I was a long-time employee of 'x', the next day I was sitting at the same desk doing the same job as an employee of IBM GS. Outside of the mainframes there's hardly a blue server or piece of software to be found. When the client company (my former employer) buys servers, software or additional services (new project development) we have to bid on it just like any other vendor, and we don't always win.

Usual disclaimers of not officially representing my employer or client apply.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)